On dates of large figures of online purchases such as Christmas or seasonal sales, many people consider using this means to buy, but still feel reluctant for fear of possible dangers. And the reality is that, although the chances of being a victim of fraud remain very low, it is on this type of date when you have to be more careful when buying online.
Luckily, it is very easy to know if a site is reliable to buy or not, you just have to learn the keys that will help you find out in a few seconds. That is why today we show you the steps to follow to buy online on seasonal sales with total security, so that fear never again makes you lose a good buying opportunity.
Basic rules of online security
To begin with, we will see some basic online security rules that will avoid dislikes in any circumstance:
- Never give the card PIN: this pin will only be requested by your bank’s ATM or your bank’s website for very specific operations. Never give it to any website, do not send it by e-mail or anything similar. It is not necessary to complete purchases, in any case.
- Do not make online purchases connected to a public Wi-Fi: the information you send through these networks may be visible to third parties and, if they have bad intentions, making purchases connected to this type of network would be a big mistake because you would be providing them your payment information.
- Use complex passwords, try not to repeat them and change them regularly: this security rule that you will have read more than once is one of the least met but on more than one occasion it would have saved someone from getting in trouble. Keep in mind that there are applications that automatically generate and save very secure passwords so you don’t have to memorize them, simplifying security work greatly.
- Avoid being a victim of phishing and smishing: for this, never respond to e-mails or sms with personal data, even if you think you know the company that asks for them. If, for example, your bank asks for data, it will never do so by this means, but you must enter its website, log in and enter them in a secure way.
Buy online safely on a website we already know
If the website where you are about to buy something is already known to you because you have previously made purchases and everything went well, there is only one security measure you should take: make sure you really are on the website that you think you are.
A common fraudulent practice is to imitate a known website so that the buyer believes he is in another virtual store. Luckily, this is as easy to solve as checking that the URL is correct or, if you are not sure, searching Google for the name of the store you want to access and do so through the search results: the authentic one will appear among the first results.
Buy online safely on a website that we do NOT know previously
But in the case of buying in a new virtual store that we don’t know previously, we can also do it in a perfectly safe way, we will only have to check its validity through a few simple steps:
- Distrust impossible discounts: a discount, by itself, is no reason to distrust a site completely, but if you find exaggerated discounts such as 80% or 90%, it is better to be alert and check the next steps well.
- Check that it is a secure domain: for this it is as simple as looking for the little padlock next to the URL. Not all safe stores will have it, but if one has it, probably it is a secure shopping site.
- Search for contact information, legal notice and conditions of purchase on the website: all these data offer veracity in an online business, especially contact information, the more there are, the better: telephone, e-mail, physical address, etc.
- Search for online opinions and profiles in social media: this is a creative way to make sure that we are not on a “ghost” website. If it is a real and trustable online store, surely they will have social networks with customer comments or ratings of their products and quality of customer service on some internet websites.
- Finally, common sense will tell us if it is a suspicious website: strange domains, a bad translation, lack of information… If you already have some experience shopping online, you will naturally suspect when a website feels untrustable.
But above all it is important to not panic. The chances of being a victim of online fraud are very low and the authorities identify and close fraudulent websites daily so that buying online is something safe for everyone. So we encourage you to enjoy the sales also online by following these simple security measures.
And if you have an online store and want to make it more secure, do not hesitate to contact us to learn more about our secure payment gateway, with the best technology and different systems that make it one of the safest in the market.Learn More
There are a few weeks left before Christmas and the families are starting to buy their gifts right now, so it is certainly time to be sure about the strategy you are going to follow this year so your online business has better results than ever. If you are not, we recommend that you apply or at least review these strategies that we shared to sell more on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
But as we know that all help is little when it comes to selling more, we have decided to share with you the secret to get better results this Christmas and also comply with the new European payment regulations PSD2.
The tool we are talking about is called Paylands, it is our payment gateway with cutting-edge technology and the ability to change the direction of your online store sales. How is it possible? Let’s see it:
Did you know that today 6 out of 10 online shoppers buy through mobile?
So it will be essential that this Christmas you have implemented a payment gateway that adapts perfectly to this device and facilitates the purchase to make it a quick and simple process. This is one of the qualities of Paylands.
Did you know that the average cart abandonment rate is 65%?
And that 11% of them abandon the purchase process for being too complicated and 7% for not finding enough payment methods?
Your goal this Christmas campaign is to reduce the abandonment rate of your online business, and with our payment technology you can simplify the payment process and offer a variety of methods to achieve it (even with cryptocurrencies!). In fact you can offer one-click payments to your regular customers.
But it also allows you to resume unfinished sales by different means, such as e-mail and telephone, so you can remind users to finish their purchases and facilitate the process with the direct purchase link.
Did you know that in Spain 27% of Christmas purchases are made between December 16 and early January?
This can be considered last minute purchases and these are characterized by being much more impulsive. With the one-click purchase that Paylands offers to your regular customers, you will be able to repeat orders that they liked and want to give away to more than one person. A quick purchase process for purchases that need to be fast.
Did you know that your online business (in Europe) must comply with PSD2 before the end of 2020 and that with Paylands you can get it right now?
The new European payment regulations have focused on online payments and have greater security requirements. Updating your payment system before the end of 2020 is necessary if you want to comply with the law, but if you change to Paylands you will not have to do anything at all, apart from enjoying all the advantages it offers.
Contact us today without obligation and in 24/48 hours you will have Paylands running in your online store so this Christmas you will enjoys the best selling results.
Write us without obligation:Learn More
A lot has been written about millennials, also called generation Y. They are those young people born between 1981 and 1993, who have grown up with technological changes and the popularization of the internet. And it‘s precisely because of this technological exhibition that has led them to have very specific characteristics as consumers and the most digital preferences when paying.
However, against all odds, the generation Z has arrived having very different preferences from their predecessors. These young people, born between 1994 and 2010, have already grown into the technological boom, when more information was already available on the dangers to which they were exposed, which has also given them specific characteristics but, as we have said, very different from those of millennials.
These two generations are currently the main target of consumer marketing, as they combine all people who are currently between 19 and 38 years old, that is, those who begin to have economic capacity to consume independently and those who consume the most (in Spain, from 38 to 44 years old).
How do millennials prefer to buy and pay?
Millennials are the ones who buy the most online, especially through mobile phones. They don’t like to pay on credit, but they do want to have different forms of payment to choose from, the debit card being their favorite.
They like to be able to compare and choose the best option in each case, so they value the opinions of other customers and any data that helps them in their decision making. They’re demanding in their online purchases, so it’s best to offer quality products and discounts whenever you have occasion.
How do you prefer to buy and pay the Z generation?
Although they have some points in common with the previous generation, in this case we see a fundamental difference: far from preferring to make purchases through the smartphone or even the computer, the youngest choose physical stores to achieve greater immediacy and an experience of purchase shared with friends. The debit card (physical or digital) is also their favorite choice to pay.
In common with millennials we find that they are also very demanding and like to compare, so the way to get their attention with a website and get the sale will be to offer them an offer that they cannot refuse: quality products, with fast delivery, endorsed by other buyers and, if possible, at the best market price.
But, if both generations have something in common, it’s their requirement in the level of security and trust that an online business should transmit. Therefore, it’s very important to put effort into all the details that will make your site offer the right image.
Choosing a payment gateway that’s integrated into the website, has a good security system and doesn’t require many steps to complete orders is essential. This is the case of Paylands payment gateway.
If you want more information on how to make your online business more attractive to millennials and Z generation, find out about Paylands through this form.